Reasons To See Our Experts
Why You Should See Our Expert Dermatologists on a Routine Basis
American Academy of Dermatology Skin Cancer Fact Sheet
- More than 1 million new cases of skin cancer will be diagnosed in the United States this year.
- One in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime.a
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults aged 25 to 29 years and the second most common form of cancer for adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 29 years.b
- Melanoma is increasing faster in famales aged 15 to 29 years than males in the same age group. In females aged 15 to 29 years, the torso is the most common location for developing melanoma, which may be attributable to high-risk tanning behaviors.b
- Melanoma in individuals aged 10 to 39 years has a 5-year survival rate exceeding 90%.
- There will be approximately 116,500 new cases of melanoma in 2008 (54,020 in situ [noninsavie] and 62,480 invasive).c
- The World Health Organization estimates that as many 65,161 people per year worldwide die from too much sun, mostly from malignant skin cancer.d
- More than 75% of deaths from skin cancer are from melanoma.
- The 5-year survival rate for individuals with melanoma that is detected and treated before it spreads to the lymph nodes is 99%.c
- Five-year survival rates for regional and distant stage melanomas are 65% and 15%, respectively.c